During the last 6 years, the World Federation of Trade Unions, the oldest, and only class-oriented international trade union organization, has been monitoring, condemning, and fighting against the neoliberal, anti-grassroots policies implemented by the Monti government, crushing the rights and living standards of the country’s workers, farmers, and people.
The coordinated efforts of the Indian bourgeoisie to improve its position in the intra-capitalist competition include further devaluation of the labor force, shrinking of the state benefits and pensions, privatization and corporatization of the public sectors and industries, reactionary changes in labor and farmer laws and codes. In addition, the complete indifference to protecting the popular strata from the impacts of the pandemic creates a suffocating situation for ordinary people who are plagued by unemployment, hunger, and misery.
We demand the release of all the arrested trade unionists
Workers’ experience has shown that anti-labor policies hand in hand with authoritarianism, oppression, and state violence against the workers’ struggles. We strongly condemn the arrest of at least fifty union leaders during the numerous sectoral and regional activities that took place all over India in the framework of the preparations of tomorrow All India Strike. The efforts of the Monti government to sabotage the strike will come to nothing. We demand the release of all the arrested trade unionists and an end to all provocations and violations of the trade union’s rights and freedoms.
The struggles in India give hope to workers all over the world
The militant struggle in India with the pioneering and leading role of the class unions – members of the WFTU proves the strength of the workers and gives hope and courage to the oppressed employees around the world. The escalation of the struggles in recent years is remarkable and commendable with massive strikes and activities in all sectors and regions and also nationally with the impressive and admirable nationwide strike that paralyzed the country with the participation of 250 million workers on January 8th, 2020.
We join our voice with the class-oriented trade unions in India
The World Federation of Trade Unions, continuing its support to the workers’ struggles in the length and breadth of the world, expresses its internationalist solidarity and supporting the demands of the countywide strike that is going to take place on November 26th,2020, against the anti-labor, anti-farmer and anti-national policies of the Indian government
On behalf of the 105 million workers, represented by the WFTU, we join our voice with the Indian working class demanding:
- Cash transfer of Rs 7500 per month for all non income tax paying families
- 10 kg free ration per person per month to all needy
- Expansion of MGNREGA to provide 200 days’ work in a year in rural areas at enhanced wages; extension of employment guarantee to urban areas
- Withdraw all anti farmer laws and anti worker labour codes
- Stop privatisation of public sector including the financial sector and stop corporatisation of Govt run manufacturing and service entities like Railways, Ordinance Factories, Ports etc.
- Withdraw the draconian circular on forced premature retirement of Government & PSU Employees
- Provide Pension to all, scrap NPS and restore earlier Pension, improve EPS-95