On the occasion of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities on December 3, the World Federation of Trade Unions reiterates its support and solidarity with people with special needs and supports their demand for free, public and high quality healthcare which become even more urgent during the Pandemic of COVID-19.
In the current circumstances of the Pandemic, the disabled and the chronically ill were seriously affected, since the problems in various structures, such as Special Schools, Rehabilitation Centers and accommodation structures are magnified due to understaffing. With inadequate protection measures which expose workers and patients to serious risks. With patients excluded from necessary medical examinations, after the public Health System was turned into health system of “one disease” in most of the countries.
This situation is added to lower participation in education and higher rates of unemployment and poverty the disabled persons suffer from. Now it is time for workers all over the world to strengthen our struggle for the protection and improvement of living conditions of the persons with disabilities. We demand:
- Prevention of the disability
- Access to free, public and high quality health and rehabilitation services for people with disabilities
- Immediate opening of new structures. Especially during the Pandemic, it is very dangerous for the structures to accommodate big number of guests. At the same time the severely disabled, chronically ill and elderly, who are currently alone in their homes, must also be accommodated
- All the necessary protection measures against COVID-19 in Special Education Centers and Institutions
- Employment for all persons with disabilities who are able to work under state responsibility
- Benefits and pensions that can assure them a dignified life