The Secretariat of the World Federation of Trade Unions, a few months ago, has inaugurated a WORLD, OPEN ESSAY CONTEST, under the title: “Historical figures of the WFTU”. The contest is taking place on the framework of the celebration events of the WFTU 75 years of honor and dignity. Given the difficulties and the restrictions due to the pandemic, the WFTU is responding to the request of some writers for the postponing of the contest deadline. The new deadline for the contest is March, 31st, 2020.
The WFTU Secretariat heartily thank the participants that have been already submitted their essays and once again calls upon the friends of the WFTU to participate in this very important contest.
The aim of the contest is to rescue the history, memory and consciousness of the class-oriented trade union movement in every corner of the world, as it has been expressed through certain historical figures in all sectors; through vanguard workers, brothers and sisters who dedicated their lives to the ideals of the WFTU, to the cause of the class struggle, the anti-imperialist resistance, the anti-colonial struggle.
Without ignoring that the peoples, the oppressed ones are those who move history forward, at the same time we recognize that the figures born among our class can serve as catalysts for the change of society. Therefore, each essay to be written must verify with documents the active relationship of each figure and militant with the WFTU.
Thus, writing books, essays and documented articles, combined with archives, sources and documents, could teach, inspire and set an example for the new generation of militants of the working class. Because, above all, the history for the WFTU is not a museum exhibition, but an action guide for the present and the future. At the same time, such an essay will provide evidence that the WFTU has always been on the frontline of struggles, through its known or anonymous militants, for a society without man by man exploitation.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION:
- Any militant, friend of the WFTU, researcher or simple unionist can participate in the contest, with a written text that should not exceed 120 pages, written in a language of his/her convenience.
2. This essay / project / book should focus on a historical WFTU militant who IS NO LONGER ALIVE.
3. This essay / project / book may focus on a WFTU militant, whether from the author’s country of origin, or from his/her wider region.
4. It will include documents on the relationship between the given historical militant figure and the WFTU.
5. The final text will be sent to the WFTU headquarters to be evaluated by a special committee for each continent.
- All participants will receive certificates of participation.
2. One first prize will be awarded per sub-region during a special ceremony to be held at the WFTU Headquarters. The prize will be a week of stay in Greece.
3. The first three essays per sub-region will be published and used in the WFTU training schools.
The WFTU is willing to help any participant, guaranteeing access to its archives, with interviews and contacts with people who may be necessary.
For more information, you can contact the following e-mail: [email protected]