INTERNATIONAL TRADE UNION CONGRESS OF ENERGY INDUSTRY WORKERS
Port of Spain. Trinidad and Tobago, on December 7 and 8,2017
We the undersigned, the Oilfields Workers’ Trade Union of Trinidad and Tobago (OWTU), Trade Union International of the Energy Trade Unions (TUI Energy) and the World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU), express our fraternal greetings to you as well as to all the members of the organization you proudly represent.
The purpose of this is to invite your organization to participate in the international Trade Union Congress of Energy Industry Workers to be held in the city of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, on December 7 and 8,2017. The TUI Energy brings together trade unions representing workers in the Energy Sector such as oil, gas, electricity, nuclear energy, energy mining (Stone Charcoal), Petrochemical, water and other related services.
This congress will be monumental because it takes place within the context of a deep global economic crisis. This crisis is the direct result of the capitalist system which has generated many other crises such as Energy crisis, food crisis, environmental crisis, moral crisis. It has also generated wars and invasions promoted by the governments of the United States and its European Union allies against sovereign countries in order to acquire control of these countries precious resources.
The working class suffers the consequences of these crises, especially in countries pursuing neo-liberal policies. They are facing massive layoffs and widespread unemployment as well as the cut of their wages and other social. At the same time, the transnational corporations of energy are the great beneficiaries to the detriment of the Third World countries that have Petroleum reserves.
The aggressions and interference of US imperialism and its allies of the European Union against Venezuela, the antagonisms in the Arctic, the instability in Nigeria, the developments in the Persian Gulf and Ukraine as well as what is happening today with the terrorist actions against the people of Syria reconfirm that wars are being waged in order to control new markets, to increase the profits and to seize the oil. As the profits of energy transnationals increase, wages and working conditions of workers in the energy sector are worsening. This is capitalism.
In this context, workers in the energy sector are obliged to play a leading role. That is the reason for the importance of tills Congress in Trinidad & Tobago, the Caribbean’s leaders in oil and gas exports.
The Congress will debate on:
– The role of energy transnational corporations and the agenda of the imperialist blocs
– The role of the trade union movement in defense of its rights, social and labor achievements as well as the struggle for the defense of natural and strategic resources such as Hydrocarbon Energy and others.
– The fight against the privatizations of the strategic sectors and the struggle for the renationalization of the same sectors.
– Greater coordination amongst militant unions in the struggle of the workers against the anti-labor and anti-union policies that the energy transnational corporations and servile governments promote.
– The Action Plan that the Congress must approve.
– Each organization can accredit up to 2 delegates and their tickets will be paid by their respective organizations.
– The host organization will be responsible for domestic transport, accommodation and food during the days of the congress, as well as for the infrastructure for the Congress development.
– The participating delegates should arrive on December 6 and depart on December 8 night or 9,h December latest.
– Any colleague who may require a visa must communicate 30 days in advance for the host organization to send him/her a personalized invitation for the visa process.
Each delegation will be able to participate by taking the floor with an intervention of 10 minutes (a written speech is recommended).
COMMUNICATION and REGISTRATION
Organizations can communicate and register using the following e-mails: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
FOR THE VICTORY OF THE ENERGY WORKERS’ FIGHT!