The WFTU issued on May 24th, 2016, the following statement in solidarity with the struggle of the seafarers of the ship “Ocean Glory” which is located in Drapetsona, Greece.
- Department of Maritime Labour of Ministry of Maritime of Greece
- Ministry of Labour of Greece
- Nicolakis Shipping S.A
- Mass Media
- Maritime Unions
The World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU) representing 92 million workers in 120 countries, according to the information received by the Greek Maritime Unions PEMEN, STEFENSON, PEEMAGEN and based on the information received by the total crew of the M/V “Ocean Glory” of the shipping company NICOLAKIS SHIPPING S.A we declare our official protestation and we ask from the direct intervention of the immediate of the authorities for the solution of the issues mentioned below:
The WFTU denounces that in the ship, which is located in the repair pier of Drapetsona, Greece due to engine damage, the seafarers are facing serious problems.
- The Company has repeatedly with promises delayed to pay the salaries of the 11 crew members (3 Ukranians, 2 Russians, 6 from Ghana). Now they must receive their salaries of 5 months of work.
- 2 members of the crew of the engine are working 12 hours every day for 5 months in violation of international regulations for the “hours of rest” while the company is paying no overtime.
- Four members of the crew have asked for months their repatriation and their request has not been attained until today.
We demand the immediate intervention of the relevant authorities of the Ministry of Maritime for the solution of the problems faced by the seafarers of M/V “Ocean Glory”.