The General Meetings of the striking workers in the construction industry, which were held today 25th January 2013, having been informed by the General Councils of their Trade Unions about the developments in the construction industry and the actions taken in the last period for the promotion of the solution of the very serious problems facing the construction industry and the renewal of the Collective Agreement, decided the following:
• Denounce the unacceptable stand adopted by the employers, rejecting for the third consecutive time the mediation proposal submitted by the Minister of Labour. Their action also reveals their real intention, which is none other than perpetuating the unacceptable situation in the construction industry, which is leading to the impoverishment of thousands of our colleagues.
• Condemn the stand of large section of contractors who are exploiting the presence of thousands of cheap labour workers in order to force workers tens of years back in time, and to crush organized trade union movement.
• Calls on the Federation of Building Contractor Associations of Cyprus to change its negative and unacceptable position throughout this period of two years negotiations have lasted, because such behaviour is not beneficial and will not bring results for the solution of the serious problems plaguing the construction sector.
• Convey a message of unity to all Cypriot workers, thanking them for their support and calls on them to continue to preserve this stand because the struggle we have started long ago is a struggle for survival which affects all working people in Cyprus.
• Reiterate once again that through their mobilizations the working people want to unmask the real culprits responsible for the problems the industry is facing and especially the severe problem of unemployment. The culprits are none other than the large section of those contractors who are sacking our fellow workers on a daily basis and sending them to the Unemployment Offices replacing them with a cheap labour force.
• To continue the indefinite strike and at the same time authorize the General Councils of their Trade Unions to respond to any call from the Minister of Labour, aiming at the solution of the problems existing in the construction industry and the renewal of the Collective Agreement.
The General Meetings of Workers in the construction industry
Friday 25th January 2013