The World Federation of Trade Unions expresses its solidarity with the struggle of the people of Swaziland for “A Democratic People’s Government NOW!”.
The Swazi regime has in the past few days intensified its brutality on the people; arresting, shooting and breaking all mass activities. There is mounting pressure for democratization. For the past two weeks the teachers have been on strike and now the strike is joined by other unions, students, parents and political parties.
As WFTU as we have been doing consistently, we once again express our decisive and practical solidarity to the struggle of the Swazi people for:
- the unbanning of political parties and the newborn Trade Union Confederation of Swaziland (TUCOSWA)
- the release of political prisoners,
- the return of all political exiled -
- the satisfaction of the trade union demands for labour rights
- a People’s Government NOW through multiparty democratic elections!
We call on the members and friends of WFTU
to act in solidarity with the struggle of the Swazi people.
Send your solidarity messages to:
- the Central Offices of the WFTU: email@example.com
- the General Secretary of PUDEMO, comrade Skhumbuzo Phakathi at SkhumbuzoP@numsa.org.za
- to TUCOSWA at Tucoswa@swazi.net